Visit MargaretPerry.org

Visit MargaretPerry.org
The Great Katharine Hepburn has relocated to margaretperry.org, where you will find even more amazing reviews and commentaries on films from the classic era to today!

23 January 2014

Life, Love, and the Movies Blogathon

THIS POST MAY ALSO BE READ AT MARGARETPERRY.ORG 
This post is written in conjunction with the Life, Love, and the Movies blogathon hosted by My Filmviews. This blogathon is a lot like the 7x7 Link Award or the Liebster Award. These awards are handed to new bloggers so that they can share a little about their movie experience with the rest of the film blogosphere. It's a great way to network and to get to know the people with whom we blog everyday. Awards and blogathons like these are also a personal reminder of why we love the movies, why we love watching them and why we enjoy writing about them. I was pleased to see that none of the questions for the LLM blogathon are doubles from either of the previous awards, so I'll just dive straight in!

Life Love Movies feet

1. What was the first movie you saw in the cinema and what do you remember about that visit?

I saw THE INDIAN IN THE CUPBOARD (1995) with my grandmother for my birthday. I must have been six or seven. I remember we had frozen yoghurt afterwards, which is weird because my birthday is in November.


2. Are there any movies you have very strong memories of which are not because of the movie (for example something which happened at the time you were watching it)?

In the summers at my grandma's, she would let me watch as many movies as I wanted. I would stay up really late watching movies and then get up really early in the morning to watch more movies. Who needs sleep? I remember eating Lucky Charms and watching THE ARISTOCATS (1970). We didn't watch movies or eat sugary cereals at home, so summers at Grandma's were a real treat!

3. Which movies had a big effect on you and changed a (small) part of your view on life?

MARY POPPINS (1964) certainly. But also WILD HEARTS CAN'T BE BROKEN (1991) for some reason. I ran around pretending to be a horse diver for a couple summers.

4. Do you have any comfort movies which you return to because you are in a specific mood (for example if you are feeling down/nursing a heartbreak)?

FATHER OF THE BRIDE II (1995). I don't know why. Must be something about the idyllic '90s setting and babies. I don't even like Steve Martin that much. I'm also always in the mood for THE WOMEN (1939). 

5. If a movie would be made about your life, what type of movie would it be and who would you like to portray you?

It would be a super awkward Wes Anderson comedy. I'd like to say Zooey Deschanel, but she is definitely too cool for me. Tina Fey? Amy Poehler? Or Katharine Hepburn. Definitely Katharine Hepburn. Not the classy socialite Hepburn in film, but the awkward freckly one she was in real life.

6. Which existing movie best represents you?
Mary PoppinsMARY POPPINS (1964). Just... cuz. She is a bit old fashioned. Likes kids. Pretty dresses. But she is also a total kick-butt feminist who doesn't take any nonsense from her patriarchal employer. And she's Julie Andrews and can sing.

7. If you knew you would die tomorrow, what would be the last movie you would want to see?

Guess.
8. If you can spend your life working in the film industry, what would you be and why? (you know, director, producer, actor, cinematographer, costume designer, sound designer etc?)

I actually would really love to be a dramaturg. Dramaturgy is helping with the research and development of a production. The dramaturg works closely with the writers and designers to shape the flavor of a play or film, often serving as the literary/historical consultant. It's a constantly shifting role, depending on the specific need of each production, but I find the field fascinating. I was dramaturg for our college's production of "A Tale of Two Cities: The Musical," and I loved every minute of it!


Life Love Movies date
1. Did you ever have a first kiss with someone while at the cinema and if so which movie was playing?

No. I was watching the movie.

2. What is your favorite movie relationship and why?

Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. Because they aren't all love-dovey, but you can see the affection in their casual moments. Their relationship as Amanda and Adam Bonner in ADAM'S RIB (1949) is probably my favorite film marriage.

3. When did your love for movies start and how has it grown?

My first classic film was THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) when my aunt would let me watch it when I went over to her house. My grandma also let me watch a lot of movies. In my house we watched a lot of good Christmas movies every year. Turner Classic Movies has single-handedly introduced me to the vast glorious world of classic film, for which I am eternally grateful!

4. If you have to choose one film to watch with your loved one, what would it be and why?


ck dexter haaaaven
Any version of JANE EYRE (1943) (1983) (2006). First of all, the man I marry will have to be able to not only appreciate, but enjoy classic literature, ESPECIALLY female writers. Secondly, I've always found the relationship between Jane and Mr. Rochester to be a more realistic match. I don't go for that fluffy love-at-first-sight nonsense.
5. If you can choose one character from a movie to be your significant other who would it be and why?

Cary Grant from THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940) because he's a really decent fellow who doesn't take himself, or life too seriously. He would be a good life partner. And he's dead sexy.
6. What was the first movie that made you fall in in love with film and cinema?

THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

7. How did your passion for movies turn you into a movie blogger?

I wanted a way to share the Katharine Hepburn research I had done in college with a wider audience. 

8. What is your favorite date from a movie?

As in, the date the film was made? Or a date night between two characters? Or a date I had at the movies? Or a date in which a movie took place? This is a silly question. I will not answer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

ShareThis