Visit MargaretPerry.org

Visit MargaretPerry.org
The Great Katharine Hepburn has relocated to margaretperry.org, where you will find even more amazing reviews and commentaries on films from the classic era to today!

01 August 2013

Doris Day (2 August SUTS)

Dday
This post is written in conjunction with the Summer Under the Stars Blogathon hosted by Sittin' on a Backyard Fence and Scribe Hard on Film. Full listings for SUTS programming on Turner Classic Movies can be found HERE.

I'll be perfectly honest - Doris Day is not my favorite. I always end up rolling my eyes and shouting "C'mon now people!" at the television set (which, I've heard, is frowned upon in civilized societies). She's too perky and too sissy and she smiles too much. Blech! I thought I would like CALAMITY JANE (1953) but it was all about how that awesome woman, who rode with the best out west, really just wanted to wear a gingham dress and bring her man his slippers and pipe every night. Blech! That said, I am sure Doris Day was probably a very nice person.

"Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty."
"I like joy; I want to be joyous; I want to have fun on the set; I want to wear beautiful clothes and look pretty. I want to smile and I want to make people laugh. And that's all I want. I like it. I like being happy. I want to make others happy."
“Any girl can look glamorous .... just stand there and look stupid.”
"I liked being married instead of the girl who's looking for a guy."
"I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the silent devoted companionship of a dog that you can get from no other source."
please don't eat the daisiesDoris Day Must-See Movie: PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES (1960)

A drama critic (David Niven) and his wife (Day) move to the country with their four sons in order to avoid the mad hustle and bustle of their tiny New York City apartment. As Kay tries to build a new home for her family, she begins to suspect her husband of philandering as he continues to work in the big city.

calmity janeDoris Day Might-See Movie: (Calamity Jane (1953))
"This town ain't big enough! Not for me and that frilled-up, flirtin', man-rustlin' petticoat, it ain't!"

"That's better. Next time I tell a story, keep your hands in your *pockets* you toothless old buffalo!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

ShareThis